Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Suck It Up

I had a long talk with my sister last night on sucking it up. I think we were raised to suck it up - maybe not explicitly, but definitely implicitly. It may be hard, unpleasant, disgusting, or demeaning, but at some level, suck it up. There are parts of everything that are unpleasant, and life means you can't always eat dessert, and all that. And, I think we're either more robust or less sympathetic because of it.. though I work hard to rarely express it. And probably more likely to be treated poorly. But eh.

But, sometimes I feel like screaming "Suck it the fuck up, people." Mostly, by the way, when I feel like I'm sucking it up. If I'm sucking it up, you can too. I know, not everyone is built the same, and maybe my burden is lighter, but dang it, I'm sucking.  And it was implied last week that I was not sucking it up - that my behavior and attitude was entirely natural - and I nearly blew my top (I didn't, because I was sucking it up). 

Life ain't always pleasant, world. But, we can dwell on the negative and get depressed, or we can try to see a path to greener pastures. And usually that path is *through* some mud. Suck it up, and let's move along.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Amen to that!!

We live in a world where far too many people whine and wallow in self-pity. I say, "Get over it!" or, as you would say, "Suck it up!"

Molson said...

Sounds like you two were raised Israeli style -

Priya said...

a military child once told me they were raised on the base with the motto to embrace the suck