Tuesday, April 21, 2009

It's Not My Fault

After reading FAR too much about Madonna's recent fall off a horse in the Hamptons, and her subsequent blaming of it on the paparazzi, I couldn't help but reflect on why it is we deflect blame so easily. Invariably, we get caught pointing the finger in the wrong direction. But somehow, we never learn.

If we all heard Madonna fell off a horse, I think our response would be:

a) indifference. lots of people fall of horses.
b) sympathy and concern for her wellbeing

If we tried hard to reason why, I believe the options are either "user error" or "after all, a horse is an animal, with its own will."  I don't think anyone would leap to the conclusion that Madge was a poor rider - since everyone falls off horses. Maybe she was trying a new stunt? Eh. I really can't imagine this tainting her reputation, particularly as, in the past 25 years of my Madonna memories, I can't remember one that promoted her equestrian strengths. She'd still be like a virgin, on la isla bonita, horse or no horse. 

The "blogosphere" seems to be condemning her for immediately saying "the flashbulbs shocked horsey." But, really, that seems like an instinctive response. Turns out, there's no "fault" being ascribed to the photographers at all. In the moment, though, it was an "I didn't do it, not my fault" response.

I remember that response... Who me? Yes you! Couldn't Be! Then Who?... great little game for the K-2nd set.  It's almost primal.

I've been trying, consciously, to fight that instinct in my life. I hate that there is always a reason for why things happen - or don't happen. More has to do with luck and timing than anything - both good things and bad things. Or a higher power. Or, at a minimum, something with a causal chain too long for my meager mind to process. 

Maybe the real question is... Why do we need a reason for everything?

1 comment:

Capt. BS said...

The answer to your question may lie in Priya's post from yesterday.

A horse is a horse, of course, of course. And no one can talk to a horse, of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister Ed.

Go right to the source and ask the horse. He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse. He's always on a steady course. Talk to Mister Ed.

People yakkity yak a streak and waste your time of day. But Mister Ed will never speak unless he has something to say.

A horse is a horse, of course, of course. And this one'll talk 'til his voice is hoarse. You never heard of a talking horse? Well, listen to this:

I AM MISTER ED.(Someone needs to make a death metal version of this song.)