Monday, April 13, 2009

New favorite phrase

One of my favorite hobbies in corporate America is watching people euphemistically say things that are otherwise totally mean or inappropriate. And there are a ton of great euphemisms, like:

He's very tactical. (implying, not at all strategic)
She's the nicest person you'll ever meet. (implying, not in any way cut-throat or able to fight the fight)


The list goes on. But here's my new favorite. I need to use it EVERY DAY. 

He's all hat and no cattle.

I love that. It's so raw. So clear*. So utterly UTTERLY intended to cut someone down. And so incredibly amusing and polite. 

What's your favorite euphemism?

* In case it isn't.. it means "all talk, no action."

5 comments:

hornett said...

Well mine are clever, but they do leave little room for interpetation. Today I've used this one several times:

"I don't know any other way to explain this to them. They must be retarded."

Priya said...

can't manage their way out of a paper bag. that's a classic.

Anonymous said...

"He would tell a lie even if the truth sounded better."

Lilac - Like The Flower said...

Ooh. I like those. Alot. Let's keep collecting... this should be a whole separate web page!

Priya said...

what about your classic line? "he would outsource his own breathing if he could."