Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Shout Out to Cucumber

When I was a kid, the ideal salad included a pile of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, chickpeas, croutons, sunflower seeds, kidney beans, eggs and cheddar all smothered in blue cheese dressing. 

I guess I was ahead for eating salad. But not far ahead. 

As I grew up, I played with different salads. For about 18 months, the boy and I ate almost exclusively Romaine with cranberries, cheese, pecans, apples, and sometimes grapes. Fun salad, we called it. 

And now, I'm eating fun salad as part of the ordered-in work lunch, and while I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth... Where are the veggies? My options are fun salad or ceaser, which is just romaine and croutons, right? So, salad folks.. here are an array of excellent veggies that are healthy parts of salad... consider them. They taste fine in a balsamic vinagrette:

Spinach
Zucchini
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Carrots
Sprouts
Asparagus
Squash
Peppers, all sorts
Eggplant
Beans, all sorts
Artichoke hearts
Basil
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Cabbage
Celery
Endives
Peas
Beets
Onions, all sorts

And that doesn't even go into the fruits. People. Save our Salads. Make them more interesting! 

No comments: