Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Punchlines

One of the joke genres I have always really liked is lightbulb jokes.
I know, they seem juvenile, but really, they are quite telling.
Usually they stereotype some group and their thinking, and it is
remarkable to me how many different ways we can imagine changing a
lightbulb

My absolute favorite punchline is .... One, but the lightbulb has to
want to change. I probably say that phrase ... The lightbulb has to
want to change... Once a day. Often in life, it isn't the
impossibility of change that impedes progress but the lack of
motivation. So, when people lament the lack of change, I often just
say... Yes, but the lightbulb has to want to change.

They invariably nod and treat it like great wisdom, which is odd to
me. But even more odd is that bo one ever wants the whole joke! And
when I have asked them if they know the joke, to confirm that it isn't
so common that it is implied, not one person has ever known it. Maybe
the punchline says it all.

Still, for the record...

How many shrinks does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 comment:

Priya said...

I don't know. I do know that I've had a lightbulb I needed to change for over 3 months, but it requires a higher step ladder than I have, so I've resigned myself to not changing it, because I never seem to buy the step ladder and I keep forgetting to ask my super for help (he was in my apartment today and I forgot again).