Friday, June 26, 2009

Small Small World

It's a small world after all.
It's a small world after all.
It's a small world after all. 
It's a small small world.


Walt was onto something there. And I rarely say good things about Disney. In fact, I've been known to say bad things about Disney. Very Bad. But, this song is dead on. 

Facebook and LinkedIn and all those fun little mechanisms that connect us have gone a long way towards ensuring that the people from your past become the people in your present. There's a fun side, like learning about my grade school friend's kids, or discovering that someone moved to Boston, and we can now hang out. But there are other aspects to this.

Everyone knows someone who they don't want to friend because they recall either how horrible they treated that person, or how horribly they were treated by that person. No one wants memories of being a bully - or a victim. And all this is fine because it's facebook, and if I don't have information on the latest goings on in my ex's life, I suppose there's no harm. 

However, the same un-friending in the business world is something entirely different. When I was younger, I was much more cavalier about burning bridges, judging people, and generally engaging in behaviors that might not have been that thought through. Because, I was headstrong, 21, and working in the belly of corporate america. But, not a week goes by that I don't still talk to someone - or many people - who knew me then. Luckily, they must have given me the benefit of the doubt - but I am often grateful that I never really threw a bomb on the bridge as I was leaving. 

The small world is a real goes-around-comes-around situation, and that works both for goodness and for bad blood. It's a small small world - and you better have good karma, or you'll never know what bit you.

No comments: