Monday, July 27, 2009

Yearning for Burnt Sienna

When I was young, one of the best things in life was a 64 box of crayons. I tended to get the big box, but then, I got them from KMart, so I didn't get the little sharpener in back. But, the big box was awesome. For a while, there was even a crayon with my name on it! Until they changed it to Orchid. Freaks. Orchids come in SO many colors (though, actually, Lilacs do too.. but still!)

I loved the crayon box, but there were some very useful colors, like black, and some hardly-useful colors, like chartreuse. We actually used to get extra black crayons from the restaurants in Las Vegas, where each table came complete with a keno form and a handful of the extra long ones to circle your bets. But, chartreuse never ran out, and neither did Burnt Sienna. I recall wondering why it even existed, as it was so rarely useful. But I was a girl. There's no Burnt Sienna in flowers or rainbows. I wasn't looking to draw wooden furniture.

Still, it brought me comfort to know that it was there. Quietly waiting for the right tree stump to require that shade of brown.

Today, I was faced with that tree stump in my PowerPoint presentation. The actual stump was a box, and I wanted to fill the box with a horizontal strip pattern, which was the Burnt Sienna of PowerPoint functionality. "Fill with Pattern" was a rarely used function that was favored by lunatics with 80-slice pie charts and a penchant for torture. However, every so often you actually want stripes, or a cross-hatch, or squiggles in your shape. Today was that day.

Burnt Sienna wasn't there. The feature was discontinues in Office 2007, due to lack of use.  I was despondent as I recreated the stripes by hand. I may rarely have touched the function, but I loved it there!

Which makes me wonder... is there still Burnt Sienna in the crayon box? and have they given me my Lilac crayon back yet?

2 comments:

Priya said...

didn't you blog this before? i swear.

Capt. BS said...

I could never find a use for that one yellow color that was actually green. It even looked yellow until you started drawing with it, and the next thing you knew, the sign you were making for your lemonade stand looked a little funny.