Monday, August 3, 2009

The End of an Era

One of my best friends and I have been on instant messenger together for years. Since 2003. That's 6 solid years of strong IM relationship, in which time, for only 1 year, we were co-located. The rest of the time we were apart, spread by hundreds and occasionally thousands of miles. And every day, I started my day by opening up a chat window to her. We both get our work done, so we didn't talk excessively, but we definitely did talk constantly. Small 5 minute conversations peppered throughout the day. And then, at 5pm, we signed off. Every single day we both had IM access, this was part of our work life. I missed her when she went on maternity leave. She (I hope) missed me when I traveled. And both our SOs have noted that it's best we babbled to each other, because neither could take the brunt of our random conversation.

And now, it's over. Her company has disabled AIM. I'm not sure what to do. We could try emailing, but that involves her using her phone, which is much less subtle than another window on your PC. And you can't email or text half as effectively. 

I don't know what I'll do, but I expect the transition is going to hurt for a few weeks. I miss you, my dear! 

3 comments:

Kim said...

I was at loose ends all day! I'm still hoping they will restore access via the ST client as originally promised!

Lilac - Like The Flower said...

Gosh, I hope so, Kim. I don't even know what to do! This can't continue!

SuperBunny said...

Try Meebo - it allows you to log in to various IM services through a website. www.meebo.com