Monday, November 30, 2009

By All Means, You Do It.

I'm increasingly perturbed by the lack of accountability and pride of a job well done.  I know, this is the first step to geezerdom, in which I start talking about young whippersnappers and hooligans. I accept that.

The issue at hand is that the culprits are not whippersnappers. They are, if anything, older than me. They are professionals. They hold down good jobs with good companies. These are not drug-addled youth with video games on the brain. 

I've had numerous incidents in the past few weeks where someone simply thought it was okay to drop the ball. Repairmen came and claimed things were fixed that broke within hours of their departure. People in charge of monitoring repairmen seemed to entirely neglect the follow-up process. People meant to respond to emails regarding repairs seemed to mysteriously lose access to their inboxes. 

Of course, this grinds my gears because I was the one, in all these instances, who felt the ramifications of the failings most acutely. We were also the ones who (with help from one other notable neighbor) actually addressed the problem. And, it is all the more annoying that the individual goaded into standing in our stead (god forbid anyone volunteer) was unable to do an adequate job. There's nothing like failure to decrease the likelihood that you will be asked to perform again.

It's just frustrating. When a batch of cookies come out badly, I lament the loss of good flour. I can't imagine how horrible it would feel to have a sullied reputation due to my own lack of initiative or follow through. But, somehow, the individuals in question have found a way to rationalize their incompetence as reasonable. Someone else will pick up the slack. Clearly, we couldn't be bothered to wake up at 8am to let in the repairman. Why would I even send a concerned reply email stating that I'm out of town? These people can take care of it. They can serve me. 

There seems to be a type of communal interaction in which everyone falls over themselves to contribute, so much so that there is an overabundance of resources with which to accomplish a task. Then, there are those who seem to do the opposite - and rely on the generous without so much as a thank you. I wish I could tell them apart, a priori. 

No comments: