Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Locovore's Quandry

Today, it is STUPID cold in Boston. Like, only a stupid person would be out in this cold cold. So, naturally, I had one thing on the mind - butternut squash soup. And the beets in my fridge. The perfect winter dinner, it is made up of foods that are both vegetables and easily stored in a root cellar (if I had one), and thus can be reasonably considered "seasonal." 

But I have no root cellar. So, I went to the local Stop & Shop. Or Shaws. Or whatever. And searched out the items which I had hoped they had carefully sourced from nearby root cellars, since the massachusetts farmers seem to outdo themselves with root vegetables. 

There weren't any. Like, there were less than a dozen beets and less than a dozen squashes. Really? NOT available? Well, what, pray tell, will you fill your shelves with?

Let me tell you what: grapes and peaches and plums and apricots. IN THE DEAD OF WINTER. I don't even WANT a peach in the dead of winter. Except Mrs. Anderson's home-canned variety (dang, girl, those are STILL on my mind!). And what merited the front-and-center stand at the Stop & Shop today? PINEAPPLE. I'm pretty sure pineapple isn't available in the surrounding 2000 miles. And strawberries cannot possibly be in season on this hemisphere.

It's just wrong.

2 comments:

Capt. BS said...

The pineapples were actually hand grenades. The other fruits were only there to fool you into thinking the pineapples were real.

Priya said...

i empathise, but since i bought apricots and butternut squash last night, i can't complain. the only solution is to move to brooklyn.