Thursday, April 15, 2010

Life in Cubeland

It's been a while since I've hung out in a cube farm. Actually, I can tell you - it's been at least 4 years. I forgot a few things about cube farms that make life sort of challenging. Strangely, most of the normal cube complaints don't bug me so much. Sure, I miss natural light, but having a less isolated bubble, or the glorious gray walls, or the horrible lack of privacy all seem tolerable today. But, the following are hard to stomach:

1) Temperature Control: Sure, I controlled my office with my handy space heater, but my cube is now way too warm. The warmness is aggravated by the other issues, and leads me generally to feel stuffy. It's hard to make things "less warm." I may have to buy a fan.

2) Cologne: I work in a highly international office, heavily weighted towards the cologne-wearing regions of earth (that would be an awesome world map, with little highlights in the middle east and India, and nothing in Norway). It also seems to be pretty cheap cologne of the Drakkar variety, on which we've pontificated before. And something even more insipid, which may be Davidoff Cool Water.

3) Popcorn. 'Nuf said.

4) Fingernail clipping. Seriously, people? Seriously. This is like eyebrow plucking and nail filing and exfoliation. These things are not public activities. And the clipping makes the most troubling sound.

I'm sure other things will annoy me over time. The nose blowing I'm writing off to a seasonal problem. The .. er.. other scents.. I hope are fleeting. And the cell phone rings are mildly entertaining. And I'm not going to lie, I sort of enjoy listening to people to tell their wives to leave them the heck alone, since they are at work and can't talk on the phone (and yes, it's always wives. There are few women here. as always. since I'm in nerdland.)

No comments: