Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Random Requests

I need new rules for how to manage random requests. I used to just assume that I had to help everyone but this is out of hand. In any given month, I get:

  • 2 requests from an alumni from undergrad or grad who I do not know looking for a job.
  • 3 utterly random requests for things such as sponsoring alumni conferences or participating in someone's market research in preparation for their startup. They usually seem like form letters.
  • 10 requests from consultants/service providers to sell that almost requires me to sponsor their entry into the organization.
  • 10 random requests from people I already know of questionable value because they are so random or in some cases, inappropriate
  • 5 requests from companies who are looking for someone in marketing and found me on linked in.
It's getting to the point where I am thinking just not responding is the right approach.

2 comments:

Lilac - Like The Flower said...

I don't like outright not responding, since it doesn't work well with my sense of self. Instead, I often prefer to respond with a concrete reason why "no" and with a "but here's the alternative," knowing full well they don't want to be shuttled to the careers site, or whatever.

So, it would be "I would like to help, but given the number of grads interested in a gig with CheesyCo, I'm afraid I can't help unless openings are in my group - which they are not. Please look to the career site, and do drop me a note if you end up here."

or, with a consultant - "I'm sorry, I don't run marketing intelligence. I'm happy to introduce you to forward your information to someone who does, if you provide me a brochure"

Kim said...

I politely tell all the strangers from bschool or elsewhere who want to "talk abt my career" that I have never been successful in helping people get a job at my company but I'm still willing to talk and then I never hear from them again.