Friday, July 2, 2010

Ruminations on a Cube Farm...

First, let me caveat by saying that my days are now filled with the tender organizational balancing act of speaking loud enough that people on the other end of the phone can hear me and soft enough that my neighbors cannot. There seems to be a very very slight tone that serves both purposes. It frustrates me, for at least 5 hours a day of conference calls. And, in that context:

a) There still is never a time when nail clipping is a public, work appropriate behavior. Ever. One snip on a broken nail, and consider taking it to the bathroom. Seriously.

b) I appreciate that many of our international colleagues have families across the world, and thus talking to the kids over skype during work hours is necessary. What I can't quite understand is why said conversation can't happen over a headset. Hearing one half of a "Did you go to the pool today, sweetie?" conversation is mildly disrupting. Heading the kids screaming "Daddy Daddy Daddy!!!" over the computer speakers is just downright grating. Particularly if I happen to speak the foreign language in which their "secret chat" is happening. I know the word for poopy in the potty.

c) I'm still not sure why that one guy hangs a full size bath towel over his cube. I'm not sure I *want* to know why. But it is a curiosity.

d) Despite my deepest desire for it not to be so, magic coffee machine cappuccinos are good. Dang it.

e) Why doesn't every company stock good pens? I know, they basically disappear.. but no one likes a bic stick. And every so often, a girl needs a sharpie. That's all I'm sayin'.


No comments: