Friday, August 6, 2010

S.. M.. L...?

I've recently had the privilege of asking over 30 people, most of whom I've never met, for their shirt size. This seems like a remarkably straightforward task. We all wear shirts. I hope.

But, you do get a set of fascinating answers:

a) Some people give YOU the choice. As if I'm a better judge of their girth than they are.
b) Some comment on their arm length, complaining that they may have to roll the sleeves. Which, when I haven't met a person, makes me imagine them as somewhat obese midgets.
c) Some comment that the size chart includes 10XL. Well, admittedly, that is mindblowingly large - but who am I to judge?
d) Some go out of their way to specify their gender - which is helpful. Particularly when your name is something like Arnold. Or William. And you're a guy.
e) Some give you a straight-up size, and you have to wonder whether they.. might be planning on pumping SIGNIFICANT IRON in the coming few weeks. Or eating their weight in roast beef.
f) Some just shock you. I suppose I shouldn't have preconceived notions of people's dimensions, but every so often, you do think... REALLY?

Try it some time. It's fun.

No comments: