Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Just Do It

I have a rather unpleasant task hanging over my head. I know it is:

20% new thinking
50% formatting changes to powerpoint slides
30% organization

It's a deck - maybe 6-10 slide long - for a meeting I had no notice on (tomorrow) with a large group of people I will never meet (con call), in which I have only a vague agenda from a confused sales person. I have no stagefright in these situations - I'm often shocked at how utterly bored I can be in these calls. Or even in person. But, what I hate is making a deck with almost no notice, even when I know the topic.

The need to do this has been hanging over my head for 5 hours. I've stolen snippets of time, and still have gotten it only half done. Now I have no choice but to do it in the evening, which is fine for powerpoint reformatting, but not ideal for actual thought. And as the day passes, time slips and the whole thing starts becoming more imminent, I grow increasingly resentful and angry and annoyed. I can't defer it any longer. I hate them for making me do it. I am so utterly pissed that the whole thing is being built up as much more than it is.

I know I need to suck it up. I've slapped myself multiple times. I'm sure once it's done, it will be easy peasy. And yet. Such angst.

No comments: