Monday, October 4, 2010

invention interrupted

You know, it's been a while since I've found an intellectual problem hard. But right now I'm just going to call it and say that what I'm working on at work is hard. I can't seem to structure the problem because whenever I try, I start swimming too high in the thoughts or too low in the details. I can't seem to find the fortitude to power through without interruption nor to give attention to the level of detail. I can't envision what the end state will look like. This sucks.

2 comments:

Lilac - Like The Flower said...

Hmm. These are both the fun times and the hard times. I am sure you'll get through, but it always feels like bending metal with your mind until the ends meet...

Capt. BS said...

I think I'm going through a similar struggle right now, where my brain is attached to a giant, perfectly eslastic bungee cord (in a world without friction or air resistance, naturally) endlessly snapping between 30,000 feet and the proverbial weeds.

When I'm way up in the sky, I have the vision and perspective needed to devise a solution, but no viable tools with which to execute against it from that altitude. When I'm down in the weeds, I have the tools, but no access to the grand vision. Apparently there's short-term memory loss involved too, because I can only remember what the other extreme looked like for a few minutes. And since I'm on a bungee cord, I can't really control how long I'm at any given height. Oh, did I mention that the problem itself is constantly in flux?

Pass the Advil, please. And good luck!