Monday, January 10, 2011

The Implication of Pedicures

I've been working my tail off. I worked 10 hour days each day on the weekend, and at least 12 hour days for the last week. I have a team, but they are still rolling off their last project, and need to be trained up - so if you're counting, the team is down 1 highly-competent person (my boss) and up 2 people who can give me 25% of their time this week, to spend almost only on training.

I don't think anyone who knows me - and sees my midnight and 6am emails - could think I'm sitting around with my feet up, eating bon bons and thinking "to hell with that job."

And yet, there is a subset of the world who sends me emails that seem to imply "what the F have you been doing with your time???" I know when I'm tired, I get particularly linguistically sensitive (I always am - but I get worse), but when someone says.. "Do you have X? When I asked for it last month, all I got was crickets..." I take that badly.

I'm the first to admit when I'm behind. Heck, I have a whole deck documenting our areas of weakness, intended to get me that team. The item that this person was seeking was a document that was not slated for creation or publication until the snow thaws. So, the fact that it didn't exist a month ago - and will not exist for months - is a non-issue. Worse still, the implication that somehow I'm behind .. and lazy.. is so utterly offensive. This is just another instance of snide comments that something isn't done yet, and that the needs aren't being met from this individual. All humorously referencing crickets.. or holidays.. or something else cute.

Let me just say - if you need something, and I can get it for you, I will. I do not sit around looking for reasons to say no. But, just come out and say it. And I can come out and tell you your answer. This sort of snide commentary chips away at my desire to EVER help. And, even Machiavellian behavior says you can catch more flies with honey.

My theory is that this behavior comes from a fundamental disrespect or lack of understanding of the jobs of others. The Q problem is an outcome of the same fallacy. When operating in an organization:

a) Assume there's more to every job than you can know, from the outside
b) Attribute more actions to stupidity or ignorance than to malice
c) When all else fails, fall back to basic logic - if you're dependent on someone for something, be nice to them.

I'm exhausted. I'm going to bed.

No comments: