Monday, January 31, 2011

Mediocrity, Defined

This has been bothering me for a while so I thought I'd get a post out there about this. I don't claim that this is an exhaustive list, but it's at least a start.

Mediocrity, or laziness, is an adjective that describes a person or a collection of people who exhibit low ambition, drive, motivation or zeal to get things done. Outwardly, they exist on a sliding scale of doing no work at all to doing a lot of work, but ultimately the work efforts are sub-optimal in their productivity. Some people may be very hard workers, but upon pulling back a few layers, one finds they pad their time with a number of breaks, unnecessary tangents and research projects. It's the same level of laziness.

Mediocrity is essentially caused by a lack of stimulus or stressors. When stressed, we humans are capable of doing great things that may go well beyond our stated abilities or tolerances for pain. Mediocrity is that state of comfort that lacks any stress and therefore weakens our ability to handle any pain; be it emotional, physical or mental. It's the adult equivalent of going around life sucking on our binky, blaming anyone who makes us be stressed or produces the need to think, because we are very happy with our comfort zone, thank you very much.

I suppose I do find myself in a mediocre organization and so therefore, I've resolved to add stimulus and stress to my life. It's the only way to avoid becoming one of the zombies who feels put out if their routine is disrupted in any way.

No comments: