Tuesday, January 11, 2011

the plight of the former under dog

When i lived in Boston in 2004, i witnessed a rare spectacle. The spectacle was 3 weeks in the month of October of people in suits wearing Red Sox hats, wandering bleary eyed into conference rooms and subways, tired from watching the 1 a.m. playoff games every night. And when the Red Sox won their 1st world series, the mood on the street on the next day was not excitement. It was a shell shocked look of trying hard not to gloat because we were too surprised to move. It was a city full of puppets without strings. It was a city deprived of its founding myth: the myth of being the underdog.

Now at my job, something similar is happening. While not divulging details and claiming here that in no way do my views represent my company, they are my personal views... I must say that for the past 3.5 years, I have played the part of the under dog. Everywhere. A week after I started working here, our competitor got THE product that easily is the most iconic product to have in the '00 decade. I've listened to friends and family ask me the same question over and over: when will you get ___. I've been told at cocktail parties when we'll get this product and been harangued by others in changing rooms at the gym for when we will. I've converted at least 10 people to a near similar and in some ways slightly better competitor. I've been told why the competing product is the best thing ever. I've suffered as our bonuses dropped because we our customers defected en masse. I've suffered the loss of employee morale that comes with not having "it". And I'd gotten used to being the under dog.

And now today .. I am no longer the under dog. Cursed with success I'm unsure of what to do next.

Signed TC / Puppet w/o Strings

1 comment:

Lilac - Like The Flower said...

There's a real comfort to being the underdog. It's a defined enemy against the people can fight. Meanwhile, once you're ahead, you have to lead - and that tends to hurt a bit. The question is - what is the next trend??