Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Rewarding Work

I had an interesting set of experiences in the past few months. My new company is one of those "Spot Award!" companies that awards people Amex gift cards when they have gone beyond the call of duty. In the past 6 months, I've received 2 such awards. And, I'm not alone. A lot of people get them. So, this isn't boasting so much as "normal course of business."

But, I think my experiences were interesting because:

In the first instance, I got a nice tidy sum of money, but it was handed to me by my boss without fanfare or dramatical email. And, my division head was one of those GOOD JOB STEVE!!!!!!! YOU ARE THE CONTRACT-INATOR OF THE DECADE type emailers, so I did sort of feel like "Thanks so much! But.. I want to be the TRADESHOW-INATOR!" (Hi Former Boss! You did great. I miss you!)

In the second case, I got the email, sent to a bunch of interesting senior people and such, saying how valuable and nice it was to work with me - and promising a monetary award - but the award never came. And naturally, I'm not going to be all "Show me the MONEY!"

I keep thinking.. would I rather have the gold star.. or the money? And I think there is a cut off. To a certain point, I'd rather have the gold star - not because I like the recognition (which I do), but because it means that now, in the heart of the Great ReOrg, I can be more confident that I'll end up fine, and not fired. And then, above a certain monetary value, I'll take the cash. But, it's an interesting lesson in people management. You can get an awful long way with grateful emails. Like, $200 bucks worth.





3 comments:

Clipboard #2 said...

LOL. I got a $500 spot bonus 3 weeks before my cut. Awesome. I don't think you have anything to worry about though! :-)

PD said...

we have a reader who is called Clipboard? What??? So awesome.

Lilac - Like The Flower said...

Wow, Clipboard #2 - I'm not sure whether you actually WERE a clipboard.. but if you were, you were the best of them! :-) you are STILL MISSED.

Man, this blog readership is rapidly becoming a convention of people I miss at work...