Friday, February 11, 2011

iPad sucks

So far this thing pretty much blows.

I was super excited to use it for watching online video. As it turns out the whole apple not supporting flash issue is a major issue. Site after site has content I would like to see but cannot.

I don't want to pay for apps and all the apps pay for or not are lame.

At best I'm using this to read books.

What a piece of crap.

Whenever the android os tablets come out I'm going to switch over first chance I get.

This is basically a walled garden device to force me to buy stuff on iTunes.

2 comments:

Rachel Ann said...

Android has the Samsung Galaxy Tab. We own both (I know!). iPad has my heart forever though...it's so much easier.

Capt. BS said...

Can't remember if I've mentioned this (I appear to be hemorrhaging hippocampal material these days), but I've been playing around with the Galaxy Tab for a while (one of our customers is deploying it for their field service personnel). I'll bring it home next time you're around (but you'll have to contend with Lilac's desire for nonstop Bejeweled action).

It's a decent iPad alternative... but I'm not sure if it's the be-all/end-all of mobile computing either. It doesn't quite have the iPad's sex appeal (which is apparently what sells devices these days), but as a developer who knows a decent anount of Java (and ZERO Objective-C), I'm much more inclined to develop for that platform using my existing skillset versus trying to figure out WTF Objective-C is and why, for example, it takes hundreds of lines of code to produce a "Hello, World" app.

Also, speaking of apps... Three or four years in, I still don't understand this whole "app" craze. Game-makers aside, it seems to me that a lot of people are just stuffing publicly-available content into an embedded web browser and selling it for $0.99/pop. Is this really revolutionary? I'd much rather try to figure out why people are screaming in my front yard.

Speaking of which.