Monday, March 28, 2011

Friends of Jen

TC's friend Jen Koop Krass passed away yesterday. For those of our readers who are also friends of Jen, I wanted to share my favorite memories of her.

Jen and I both run. We first bonded over a Turkey Trot that we ran on a frigid Thanksgiving morning in Chicago. Jen and I decided to meet up near Diversey and Clark. It was so cold we had to find somewhere to wait inside before the race began. The race had a brisk and risky quality to it, as might be expected when one runs in sub 0 degree weather on a thin layer of ice. The rest of Chicagoland was just putting their turkey in the oven at 10 a.m. in the morning. But Jen and I were running a 5K. After the race, we met up and traded our enthusiasm for the course, our near slips on the ice and our race times. To this day I can't understand why we didn't just bag the race and stay at the coffee shop. With anyone else that would have happened, but not with Jen. That was the level of her dedication. Jen ran the Chicago Marathon a few years later. It was a major achievement. When I ran the Marathon in 2008, Jen was in the crowd cheering me on, right around River North.

1 comment:

Lilac - Like The Flower said...

Thank you, Priya...Thank you.

Jen was an amazing person. I wish I had a defined memory of her. Every memory of her simply features her enormous smile, her warm heart and her kindness. I feel as though she was always around - and I always wished I knew her better. She was positive, optimistic and the sort of person that made you feel happy just to be in her company.

A light has gone out in the world today... may she find peace and comfort now. And if we live our lives true to her memory, we'll see her again one day.