Monday, September 12, 2011

Controversial Post

So as you may have heard, yesterday was the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and we are all supposed to be very, very, very sad. And it was sad. It was a sad, and a hard day.

But... But!

NYC was turned into a fortress over the potential for 3 men from the supposedly now defunct and leaderless al Qaeda, who *might be American citizens* to come and launch a bomb attack upon Penn Station. On Friday, my subway commute was delayed "due to police investigation at 34th street" and some trains re-routed. On Saturday, I drove out to New Jersey. Coming back, as I was exiting Holland Tunnel I was stopped at a police checkpoint requiring all traffic towards West Street to be cleared through. Flashlights were flashing into my car. And on Sunday, as I left my apartment in Downtown Brooklyn, I found the street had been cleared off due to a suspicious package.

As for the actual Sept 11th. It was horrible, horrific, tragic. But 10 YEARS have gone by. 10 YEARS. And for a lot of people, including me, it feels like it was only yesterday. And I think a lot of the reason for that, is that in the last 10 years, we've known nothing but the aftermath of 9/11 and it's not been all that positive. The two misguided wars. The additional security and the costs of that security, most visible at the airport. At least 2 recessions, possibly 3. The crumbling of America's infrastructure, most obviously during Hurricane Katrina. The degradation of America's esteem of the rest of the world, thanks to President Bush's doctrine of unilateralism. What was positive? I can only think of maybe 4 things: President Obama, the Red Sox world series win, Facebook and Harry Potter. But I digress.

Yesterday, I wanted someone to get up and give a presidential styled speech. Where someone reminded America of all that we had to be proud of, of our military might, of our ruthless pursuit and destruction of Al Qaeda's top leadership, of our muddled yet continuous support for democracy and nation building in Iraq and Afghanistan. For the fact that we still are industrious enough to desire a 40 hour work week with 2 week vacations. I wanted someone to ask me if I was better off today than I was 10 years ago. And I wanted to know the answer to that question is, in fact, YES.

And instead, I got lots of tv footage shots of people going to funerals and memorials. Because, afraid to fight for our spiritual loss, we've become content to simply be sad for the mortal loss.

No comments: